In a world where Online Marketing has taken over, it is very important to understand what tools you need in order to succeed.
Email marketing is one of the most popular strategies out there and there are many tools that allow you to fully automate the process. Mailchimp is one of these, but what is Mailchimp about?
What is Mailchimp and why do you need it?
MailChimp is a software that enables you to create and manage mailing lists, newsletters, automated campaigns and much more. It allows you to fully automate your email marketing strategies.
Mailchimp is user-friendly, affordable and gives you access to a variety of email marketing tools.
The company was founded in 2001 as a side project, when Ben Chestnut and Dan Kurzius started a web design agency called the Rocket Science Group. They wanted to focus on corporate clients, so on the side, they created an email marketing service for their smaller clients.
Mailchimp was developed with the aim to help small companies who could not afford to invest on very expensive software. They wanted to give these small businesses an opportunity to grow!
Ben and Dan loved helping their small clients, so, in 2007, they decided to close down the web design agency and just focus on Mailchimp.
The company now has around 800 employees and over 14million users, making Mailchimp one of most well-known email marketing tools available nowadays!
What can Mailchimp do?
There are a variety of things that can be done via Mailchimp and here is an overview:
MailChimp helps you create campaigns that stand out, connect everything you use and automate your busy work. They also have a built-in analytics tools that allows you to view your data and see what works and what doesn’t!
What can you create?:
- Email – Use the drag and drop feature to easily create beautiful emails. Reach your audience and build your brand!
- Landing Pages – Create a standalone web page for the purpose of having a marketing campaign, with focus on Call to Action.
- Google Remarketing Ads – Bring back people who have left your site, when they’re ready to buy!
- Facebook Ads – Use your Mailchimp data to create the perfect Facebook campaign.
- Instagram Ads – Same as the Facebook Ads feature. Your Mailchimp data can help you create the perfect Instagram Ad!
- Postcards – Design, manage, print and send physical postcards to people around the world for only 75cents per card!
- Signup Forms – Create beautiful forms that will allow new customers to subscribe to your list.
What can you connect?:
- Eventbrite – Sync your attendees list with Mailchimp to increase event attendance.
- Salesforce – Manage Mailchimp subscribers from Salesforce leads, contacts, and list views.
- Shopify – Sync with Shopify to send targeted campaigns to your customers and sell more!
- Square – Sell directly via your landing pages by connecting Mailchimp to Square payments.
- WooCommerce – Send targeted campaigns to your customers, by syncing your Mailchimp to your WooCommerce store data.
There is much more you can connect! Click here to see the full list.
What can you automate?:
- Abandoned Cart – Send emails to shoppers who have abandoned your cart and bring them back to your shop!
- RSS to Email – Turn your blog posts into emails to send all your latest news straight into your customers’ inboxes.
- Product Recommendations – Send products recommendations to your customers.
- Product retargeting emails – Remind people to come back for products they have seen before.
- Product follow-up – Ask your customers to provide feedback for a product they have purchased.
- Order Notifications – Email your customers when their order has been received and when it has been dispatched.
- Welcome Automation – Send a welcome email to your new subscribers.
- Customer re-engagement – Engage with people you have not heard from for a while.
- Best customers – Reward your loyal customers with special offers.
- First purchase – Thank your customers after they have made their first purchase.
What can you optimise?:
- CRM – Connect Mailchimp to your CRM and use the data’s insights to build a personalised experience for every customer.
- Segmentation – Segment your audience, based on the data you gather for each customer.
- Personalisation – Send unique content to each customer.
- A/B Testing – Compare your campaigns and see what works best.
- Reports – Get to know your audience via data reports.
Is Mailchimp free?
There are three types of plans and one of these is completely FREE:
The FREE plan allows you to use almost all the available features. The plan remains free forever, as long as you’ve got 2,000 or fewer subscribers. You can send up to 12,000 emails per month with zero cost and no credit card required.
Once you have hit 2,000 subscribers or 12,000 emails per month, you go onto the next plan which starts at $10/month, based on your monthly subscribers or list size:
You can estimate your monthly rate, using the calculator shown in the above screenshot. Just scroll to the middle of this page to access it.
MailChimp also offers a PRO plan, which is $199/month and gives you access to advanced segmentation, comparative reports and multivariate testing, on top of all the other features.
You can view the full list of features available for each plan by clicking here.
Here is a list of some of Mailchimp‘s competitors:
Mailchimp is the only one that offers a FREE plan, so if you are a small business with less than 2,000 subscribers, I would recommend you stick to them and see how things go. You could then download your emails list in the future, if you wish to move to a different provider!
Mailchimp is also very easy to use and provides you with everything you need in one single place.
Is email marketing really that important?
This email statistics report predicts that, by the end of 2019, there will be over 2.9 billion email users. That is over one third of the worldwide population!
Email marketing is more effective than social media because the data you have can be used at any time. Social media, on the other hand, use their own algorithms and will only display your content to a limited amount of users and only if it is relevant.
It is also very inexpensive, when you think how much it would cost you to reach a large number of consumers via direct mail, newspapers, radio, etc.
Emails can be fully customised and sent to your customers with some personalisation. For example, when sending emails with Mailchimp, you could use the merge “name” tags, which will allow you to have the customer’s name in the email body, without having to manually type it for each individual!
Software like Mailchimp also allows you to track how your campaigns are doing, which means you can constantly improve your strategies and learn what really works for you. You would not have such luxury if you were to send a letter directly to your customer’s door step. It might be thrown straight into the bin and you will never know!
Conclusion: Mailchimp is a winner!
If you are a small business and you are looking to start building your mailing list, I strongly recommend you go with Mailchimp, since it can be a risk free investment for you.
In 5 months time, you might realise that email marketing is not for you but during that time, you would have not spent any money to experiment with it!
On the other hand, in a few months time your business might grow so much that you might feel the need to look at alternatives. With Mailchimp you will be able to download the list of emails you have collected so far, making your move smooth and painless!
Do you have more questions about Mailchimp? Leave a comment below or email me directly at [email protected] and I will be more than happy to help!